A severe, late season winter storm has led to dangerous road and air travel and power outages across many states from the Southwest to the Northeast.
Areas in Kentucky have received more than 20 inches of snow from the storm, and hundreds of motorists were stranded on I-65 near Elizabethtown, Kentucky, and on Interstate 24 near Paducah due to excessive snowfall. Heavy rain has caused some flooding in portions of Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Snowy and icy road conditions have been reported in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Snow continued to fall through March 6 as far south as Georgia.
Snow accumulations were reported from the Appalachians into central New Jersey, Long Island, New York and Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. A passenger jet skidded on a snowy runway at New York’s LaGuardia Airport before crashing into a fence.
Severe cold is forecasted for the South through today, and locations with heavy snow accumulation are expected to retain record-setting cold temperatures, with minimal melting until this weekend.
As of March 6, more than 48,000 power outages have been reported in West Virginia, New York, Kentucky, Arkansas, Pennsylvania and other states. Frozen and ruptured pipes resulting in water damages – as well as business interruption and refrigerated products claims – are expected as a result of the power outages. Roof collapses and other structural damage due to snow loading, and fallen trees and limbs onto structures and vehicles as a result of ice accumulation and wind damages are also anticipated.
Crawford is ready and available to respond to areas as they are affected by stormy conditions and is prepared for immediate response measures to new calamities as needed. We have the staff in place and are prepared to take on a large volume of business – no matter the size and scope. With our wide-ranging capabilities, you can count on Crawford to handle claims or back-fill any staff that may be mobilized as a result of this event.
Crawford Catastrophe Services has experienced adjusters mobilized and ready to handle your policyholder’s claims.
- Global Technical Services for large and complex losses, including itsCrawford Forensic Accounting Services for calculation of business interruption losses;
- Vehicle Services Connection for auto and heavy equipment appraisals;
- Contents Services for contents valuation;
- Contractor ConnectionSM for residential and commercial services, including board- up/taping services, emergency water mitigation, tree removal, general structural repairs, roofing textile restoration, and temporary housing; and
- Marine and Transportation Services for marine cargo, hull, machinery, and ocean claims-handling with a wealth of marine indemnity and adjusting expertise.
Working with Crawford helps leverage your internal staff most efficiently with our broad network of adjusters – scalable to the largest disasters. We help you keep policyholders’ satisfaction high and aid customer retention.
For assistance now, contact:
(24-hour claims intake)